Welcome to my personal website. Here you will find lots of information about my key interests: Sudan, Burkina Faso, libraries for children in rural areas of Africa, and teaching development economics to my favorite group of people- students at Santa Clara University. You can keep up with me on my blog and the FAVL blog where I post about libraries and reading in Africa. Please also visit the website of Friends of African Village Libraries (FAVL) the small non-profit that myself and some colleagues started and which now supports village libraries in four countries, and UnderstandingSudan.org, a project to help teachers, researchers and activists be more effective in influencing the course of events in Sudan.
Blogs I Follow
- “Novels are machines for falsely generating belief”… essay on fiction, by Zadie Smith in The New York Review of Books
- The Big Sleep, by Raymond Chandler
- Fiasco, by Thomas Ricks
- Adam and Allison Grant rewrite children’s books and much fiction: “Noble deed doers, you should first lecture the victims and help them help themselves more otherwise you are an enabler…”
- Great article in The New York Times about rural America and public services
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.