Finally, in an online world of gratuitous snark, one courageous editor has displayed the vision to give thumbs down to thumbs down. You read that right: no negative reviews. “Why waste breath talking smack about something?” the recently hired book editor Isaac Fitzgerald [at BuzzFeed ] rhetorically wondered in an interview with the Poynter Institute. “You see it in so many old media-type places, the scathing takedown rip.” Yeah, that. Not just the smart-aleck Gawker crowd — those too-cool-for-school types who think a potty-mouth crack-using mayor in Canada is somehow a natural object of ridicule — but the entire mob of vandals: Harold Bloom. Margaret Atwood. Umberto Eco. Don Rickles. Saddam Hussein. So superior, the whole lot of them.
Blogs I Follow
- Someday you might like this song by Jason Molina, Farewell Transmission, but don’t go down his dark path no no
- Why did the South support the Federal income tax and the 16th amendment? because they understood the Progressive movement all too well
- Who I Am & Why I Am Where I Am by Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith
- Kathryn Schulz in The New Yorker, on WIlliam Kelley, a fantastic short essay
- Damien Hirst documentary on Netflix “Treasures from the Wreck of the Unbelievable”
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.