Passover at the University of Texas at Austin this year will feature matzo with a hint of jalapeño. The Haggadahs will be in Hebrew, English and Spanish. The celebration will feature the sounds of a mariachi band, and the taste of guacamole will replace the more familiar maror and charoset. If past years are any indication, the March 26 seder at Hillel will draw more than two hundred participants…. Similar scenes of Jews and Latinos coming together are playing out at universities across the nation. UT-Austin, the University of California at Irvine and the University of Pennsylvania are just a few campuses where Latino-Jewish student groups have been formed. In Tucson, Arizona there is even a Jewish-Latino Teen coalition run by the Jewish Federation of Southern Arizona….. “Groups that have a similar cause or ideology can act together, because one big voice can help create change,” said Deborah Kolton, a Guatemalan Jew and a member of the coalition.
Blogs I Follow
- Urban development in Cupertino and SB 35
- My wife is good with faces, but I am pretty darn good with melodies
- Fulani arrested in Ghana over Burkina Faso ties?
- Recent reading: The Big Book of Science Fiction, edited by Ann and Jeff VanderMeer
- Production de livres du centre multimédia de Houndé au Burkina Faso
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.