Total nonfarm payroll employment increased by 142,000 in August, and the unemployment rate was little changed at 6.1 percent, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today. Job gains occurred in professional and business services and in health care.
In August, both the unemployment rate (6.1 percent) and the number of unemployed persons (9.6 million) changed little. Over the year, the unemployment rate and the number of unemployed persons were down by 1.1 percentage points and 1.7 million, respectively. Among the major worker groups, the unemployment rates in August showed little or no change for adult men (5.7 percent), adult women (5.7 percent), teenagers (19.6 percent), whites (5.3 percent), blacks (11.4 percent), and Hispanics (7.5 percent). The jobless rate for Asians was 4.5 percent (not seasonally adjusted), little changed from a year earlier.
The number of long-term unemployed (those jobless for 27 weeks or more) declined by 192,000 to 3.0 million in August. These individuals accounted for 31.2 percent of the unemployed. Over the past 12 months, the number of long-term unemployed has declined by 1.3 million. The civilian labor force participation rate, at 62.8 percent, changed little in August and has been essentially unchanged since April.
Blogs I Follow
- Sharp words from a police officer about the lack of anti-terrorist strategy in Burkina Faso
- ‘The Violin Player’ review from Hollywood Reporter
- Panda Bear – Boys Latin
- The Greenville Eight – Integrating American libraries in the South
- Wayne Wiegand’s short article on the struggle of young people like Joseph Jackson to desegregate libraries in the South in 1961
- Report on the vacation classes organized by Cesrud/FAVL Ghana
- Camp de lecture à Sebba
- Camp de lecture à Sebba: séance de lecture individuelle
- Camp de lecture à la bibliothèque de Sebba
- Report on the Vacation Classes being organized by the CESRUD/FAVL Ghana libraries
- Echos des bibliothèques N°22
- Rapport du camp de lecture de Korsimoro, Burkina Faso
- Cesrud/Favl librarian meeting in Sumbrungu, Ghana
- Deux livres photos: Sentiments de Koura Zénimi et de Koura Zama
- Rapport d'activités du mois de juin du bibliothécaire de Bougounam
- Reading camp in Mané village, Burkina Faso 2017
- Le staff de FAVL visite la bibliothèque de Boussouma
- FAVL rencontre le maire de Bourzanga
- Echanges avec le premier adjoint au maire de Boni
- New FAVL photos books published through fastpencil.com for distribution in libraries in Burkina Faso