The fund brought its estimate for global growth down to 3.3 percent from 3.7 percent, and reduced its forecast for 2015 to 3.8 percent. The fund pointed to weaker growth in China, Europe, Japan and Latin America Brazil in particular as the main culprits behind the broad retrenchment. By contrast, the outlook or the American economy, fresh off its very strong jobs report last week, was revised sharply upward, to 2.2 percent this year from 1.7 percent. In an interview on Friday, Christine Lagarde, the managing director of the fund, said global growth risked being stuck in a rut for a long time. “If nothing gets done in a bold way, there is a risk of new mediocre” level of growth for the global economy, she said. “And that’s particularly clear now, because growth potential has already gone down.”Numerous countries, especially in Europe, have still not shed problems from the financial crisis and continue to face high government and household debt as well as persistent unemployment, Ms. Lagarde said. In addition, divergent monetary policies between the United States and Europe appeared likely to perpetuate a growth gap on both sides of the Atlantic, in which the American economy forged ahead while much of the Continent lagged behind.
Blogs I Follow
- I guess Trump team is consistent about one thing: They really would rather have coal than advanced 21st century batteries
- Great trenchant essay on reading from Hisham Matar
- Can students record me in class?
- Awe-inspiring study from Ancestry.com
- Leading a non-profit that supports village libraries is a lot of work!
- Great article about one of the FAVL donors who helped make a library happen in Burkina Faso
- AYA Afrika Foundation helps continue after school reading program in libraries in Ghana
- New motor bike for FAVL/CESRUD Ghana
- Visite guidée à la bibliothèque communautaire de Dablo
- Les usagers illettrés à la Bibliothèque de Dimikuy
- La mairie de Pensa prend ses responsabilités
- What is going on in FAVL Burkina Faso?
- Les bibliothécaires en séance pratique d'origami
- Le coordonnateur national à la rencontre du staff régional
- FAVL/CESRUD Ghana libraries expand their reach to surrounding schools
- Rapport du mois de janvier et février 2017 de la bibliothèque de Sebba
- Rapports des activités du mois de Janvier et Février 2017 de la bibliothèque de Bougounam
- Visite d'un ancien lecteur au bureau de FAVL Ouaga
- Rencontre FAVL et les autorités de Sabcé
- Encadrement du bibliothécaire de Pissila