When Nimeiri was ousted by a very similar large-scale people’s uprising, Gen. Swar al Dahab led a palace coup that stole all the thunder from the uprising. He did transition to power a year later, but by then all the old guard traditional elites reestablished themselves, and the result was the disaster that became Sudan.
Blogs I Follow
- Looking forward to reading some new Sarah Shun-lien Bynum
- “Novels are machines for falsely generating belief”… essay on fiction, by Zadie Smith in The New York Review of Books
- The Big Sleep, by Raymond Chandler
- Fiasco, by Thomas Ricks
- Adam and Allison Grant rewrite children’s books and much fiction: “Noble deed doers, you should first lecture the victims and help them help themselves more otherwise you are an enabler…”
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.