Michael Froman, America’s trade representative, says the TPP is about ensuring high labour standards, exposing state-owned enterprises to level competition with private enterprises and including digital activity “to ensure a free and open internet”. When he held informal talks with TPP counterparts at a get-together in Myanmar in August, he asked them about RCEP and was not impressed by what he heard. Whereas the TPP was aiming to eliminate almost all tariffs, India was asking RCEP to keep the figure as low as 40%. China was somewhere in between, apparently waiting to see where everyone else ended up.
Blogs I Follow
- Key leader in the Burkina Faso tri-border area interviewed about… how to spend lots of money!
- Who would have thought in other countries there is also demand for protectionism? Ghana’s footwear manufacturing industry
- Recent reading and viewing recommendations
- Great quote from Teju Cole, “Every Day is for the Thief” about markets!
- A most disturbing finding about ethnicity in Kenya
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.