What do I mean by saying that everything changes [at the so-called zero lower bound]? As I wrote way back when, in a rock-bottom economy “the usual rules of economic policy no longer apply: virtue becomes vice, caution is risky and prudence is folly.” Government spending doesn’t compete with private investment — it actually promotes business spending. Central bankers, who normally cultivate an image as stern inflation-fighters, need to do the exact opposite, convincing markets and investors that they will push inflation up. “Structural reform,” which usually means making it easier to cut wages, is more likely to destroy jobs than create them.This may all sound wild and radical, but it isn’t. In fact, it’s what mainstream economic analysis says will happen once interest rates hit zero. And it’s also what history tells us. If you paid attention to the lessons of post-bubble Japan, or for that matter the U.S. economy in the 1930s, you were more or less ready for the looking-glass world of economic policy we’ve lived in since 2008.
Blogs I Follow
- I guess Trump team is consistent about one thing: They really would rather have coal than advanced 21st century batteries
- Great trenchant essay on reading from Hisham Matar
- Can students record me in class?
- Awe-inspiring study from Ancestry.com
- Leading a non-profit that supports village libraries is a lot of work!
- Great article about one of the FAVL donors who helped make a library happen in Burkina Faso
- AYA Afrika Foundation helps continue after school reading program in libraries in Ghana
- New motor bike for FAVL/CESRUD Ghana
- Visite guidée à la bibliothèque communautaire de Dablo
- Les usagers illettrés à la Bibliothèque de Dimikuy
- La mairie de Pensa prend ses responsabilités
- What is going on in FAVL Burkina Faso?
- Les bibliothécaires en séance pratique d'origami
- Le coordonnateur national à la rencontre du staff régional
- FAVL/CESRUD Ghana libraries expand their reach to surrounding schools
- Rapport du mois de janvier et février 2017 de la bibliothèque de Sebba
- Rapports des activités du mois de Janvier et Février 2017 de la bibliothèque de Bougounam
- Visite d'un ancien lecteur au bureau de FAVL Ouaga
- Rencontre FAVL et les autorités de Sabcé
- Encadrement du bibliothécaire de Pissila