Worked on my presentation all morning… realizing audience will probably be like 300 people…. and they strictly enforce time limits, so have to say everything in 15 min, so have to practice a dozen times…
Walked down to convention center… Capetown like a post-apocalyptic novel… Saturday afternoon, everything closed, barely a single pedestrian, cars rushing by in the misty rain, security guard in front of each building… why am I the only person walking?
Convention Center amazing and new. Wow! Registered in like 30 seconds. Had a delicious (but small) Middle Eastern plate for 50 rand (about $4). And then a cappuccino for $1.50. I think I’ll be drinking a lot of higher end coffee drinks here; I can never justify paying $3.50 for a latte in the States.
Went to Libraries for Children and Young Adults section meeting. Good to see some familiar faces. Viviana Quinones as usual ran the meeting like clockwork, getting through a very long agenda right on schedule.
Walked back to hotel, now raining a bit more, but still very nice. A note from a fellow IFLA delegate at the desk, so I got to eat dinner with librarian Christina Nell, who supervises five libraries in northern South Africa. We went to The Africa Cafe, very nicely decorated with lively art and colors, a bit touristy, but the food was fine. They offer a fixed-price “buffet” of a variety of African food. Music and singing by the wait-staff. Could have been a Greek restaurant in Carmel… Opa! All the vegetarian selections were great. Talking library shop all evening was fun, too!
Blogs I Follow
- What's going on in Ghana libraries?
- Sending books to Burkina Faso
- Reading Fati and the Honey Tree in Sumbrungu library, Ghana
- Recent activities in Ghana libraries
- SSNIT pension payments (social security) for librarians in Ghana
- Visites des élèves aux bibliothèques au nord du Burkina Faso
- Students use Ghana libraries to study for end of year exams
- FAVL finalist for Systematic Joy of Reading Award!
- L'excellence récompensée à FAVL
- Achat de livres pour la bibliothèque de Niankorodougou
- FAVL expenses in Ghana from January through April 2017
- Echos de Niankorodougou
- Une bonne information du côté de la commune de Tongomayel
- La nouvelle : Sur les sentiers épineux de la démocratie
- Le coordonnateur national de FAVL-BF à Conakry Capitale Mondiale du Livre