After enjoying Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, I was hoping A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab, which is similarly pitched, would be a good read. Unfortunately it was not… basically written at the Lightning Thief-level, so fine for 12-14 year olds who can handle a little gratuitous torture, but pretty tedious for adults. NPR though gave it a favorable review. I disagree, but then you have to decide who to trust, NPR or me?
Blogs I Follow
- You really should be watching live stream of Hawai’i lava flow for at least ten minutes
- Resilient Social Contracts and Sustaining Peace from the International Peace Institute
- Libertarians need to think more about this tendency of humans to band together and discriminate
- Air-conditioning vicious circle
- The Bones of J.R. Jones – St. James’ bed
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.