After enjoying Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, I was hoping A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab, which is similarly pitched, would be a good read. Unfortunately it was not… basically written at the Lightning Thief-level, so fine for 12-14 year olds who can handle a little gratuitous torture, but pretty tedious for adults. NPR though gave it a favorable review. I disagree, but then you have to decide who to trust, NPR or me?
Blogs I Follow
- I get it and I don’t get it…. mocking earnestness and mocking people are not the same thing
- Excession, by Iain Banks
- I listened. The Republicans are not saying much. Rep. Sensenbrenner (R,WI) offers an oped in the New York Times
- Greatest song ever recorded, for its voice, and lilting but complex melody: Myan Myan by Coupé Cloué
- “Sevastopol” by Emilio Fraia in The New Yorker
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.