After enjoying Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, I was hoping A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab, which is similarly pitched, would be a good read. Unfortunately it was not… basically written at the Lightning Thief-level, so fine for 12-14 year olds who can handle a little gratuitous torture, but pretty tedious for adults. NPR though gave it a favorable review. I disagree, but then you have to decide who to trust, NPR or me?
Blogs I Follow
- Walter Isaacson, The Code Breaker: Jennifer Doudna, Gene Editing, and the Future of the Human Race
- The Corner that Held Them, by Sylvia Townsend Warner
- Flux, by Jinwoo Chong
- V.V. Ganeshananthan’s novel “Brotherless Night”
- Making New People: Politics, Cinema, and Liberation in Burkina Faso, 1983-1987, by James E. Genova
Friends of African Village Libraries (I post regularly here)
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.