After enjoying Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, I was hoping A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab, which is similarly pitched, would be a good read. Unfortunately it was not… basically written at the Lightning Thief-level, so fine for 12-14 year olds who can handle a little gratuitous torture, but pretty tedious for adults. NPR though gave it a favorable review. I disagree, but then you have to decide who to trust, NPR or me?
Blogs I Follow
- Someday you might like this song by Jason Molina, Farewell Transmission, but don’t go down his dark path no no
- Why did the South support the Federal income tax and the 16th amendment? because they understood the Progressive movement all too well
- Who I Am & Why I Am Where I Am by Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith
- Kathryn Schulz in The New Yorker, on WIlliam Kelley, a fantastic short essay
- Damien Hirst documentary on Netflix “Treasures from the Wreck of the Unbelievable”
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.