The Fishermen by Chigozie Obioma is a harrowing novel set in the 1990s. A middle-class professional family in the town of Akure unravels, with brother killing brother. The novel works as a metaphor for Nigeria, as a classic-style tragedy, and as a psychological family drama. The latter reading was for me the more satisfying: places like Akure in the early 1990s, and families like that of the young narrator (a younger brother), were unlikely to have quality psychiatrists able to diagnose teenage psychotic episodes. And the break suffered by Ikenna seems like a classic teenager whose normal sudden switch to self-centeredness, rebellion, lassitude and paranoia here becomes exaggerated as the family authority figure, the father, must take a job in a town quite far away so he only comes back occasionally (and too late). Kids make up their worlds, is the theme, and it can sometimes be wonderful, and sometimes downright scary. Obioma traces this wonderfully, with the four brothers paired into two sets, each orbiting a slightly different axis.
Blogs I Follow
- I guess Trump team is consistent about one thing: They really would rather have coal than advanced 21st century batteries
- Great trenchant essay on reading from Hisham Matar
- Can students record me in class?
- Awe-inspiring study from Ancestry.com
- Leading a non-profit that supports village libraries is a lot of work!
- Great article about one of the FAVL donors who helped make a library happen in Burkina Faso
- AYA Afrika Foundation helps continue after school reading program in libraries in Ghana
- New motor bike for FAVL/CESRUD Ghana
- Visite guidée à la bibliothèque communautaire de Dablo
- Les usagers illettrés à la Bibliothèque de Dimikuy
- La mairie de Pensa prend ses responsabilités
- What is going on in FAVL Burkina Faso?
- Les bibliothécaires en séance pratique d'origami
- Le coordonnateur national à la rencontre du staff régional
- FAVL/CESRUD Ghana libraries expand their reach to surrounding schools
- Rapport du mois de janvier et février 2017 de la bibliothèque de Sebba
- Rapports des activités du mois de Janvier et Février 2017 de la bibliothèque de Bougounam
- Visite d'un ancien lecteur au bureau de FAVL Ouaga
- Rencontre FAVL et les autorités de Sabcé
- Encadrement du bibliothécaire de Pissila