Trump: Low-cost fuel for bloviating

How long can people keep repeating the exact same analysis, as if there was someone who didn’t understand why 30% of the Republican Party votes for Trump?  It is not a mystery.  Nor is there a mystery about how likely a big chunk of the remaining 70% will support him if he locks up the nomination.  And not a big mystery either that Democrats will have to be very smart in making sure that Republican turnout is low.  What did Obama say? “No stupid shit”?  This is like one of those boring sports events: you keep watching because both sides are making a lot of mistakes. But you just keep muttering, “Pathetic.”

The simultaneous economic disaster and delegitimation of their values marginalized this class. When Mitt Romney referred to the 47% who were parasites in our society, he was referring to these people. When Barack Obama was elected, this group felt that the focus had shifted to the black community and saw itself as invisible (and to the extent seen, contemptible). Economic, social, and cultural evolutions had bypassed them. Their perception of the political system has become intensely cynical. They see the political elite, bankers, lawyers, and lobbyists as a near criminal and entirely incompetent class. We speak of unemployment after the 2008 recession in terms of numbers. These are the people who were unemployed. They view this elite as claiming rights they haven’t earned. The lower-middle class can tolerate earned wealth, and even respect it, but cannot accept what they see as manipulated wealth and power.

Source: The Roots of Trump’s Strength | This Week in Geopolitics Investment Newsletter | Mauldin Economics

About mkevane

Economist at Santa Clara University and Director of Friends of African Village Libraries.
This entry was posted in Politics. Bookmark the permalink.