A helicopter drop of money is a permanent /irreversible increase in the nominal stock of fiat base money with a zero nominal interest rate, which respects the intertemporal budget constraint of the consolidated Central Bank and fiscal aut hority/Treasury – henceforth the State. An example would be a temporary fiscal stimulus (say a one – off transfer payment to households, as in Friedman’s example), funded permanently through an increase in the stock of base money. It could also be a permanen t increase in the stock of base money through an irreversible open market purchase by the Central Bank of non -monetary sovereign debt held by the public – that is, QE . The reason is that QE, viewed as an irreversible or permanent purchase of non- monetary f inancial assets by the Central Bank funded through an irreversible or permanent increase in the stock of base money, relaxes the intertemporal budget constraint of the State.
Blogs I Follow
- Good interview regarding recent dozo- koglwéogo confrontation in Karangasso-Vigué in #Burkina Faso
- Loyola University New Orleans student newspaper article on Jesuit presidents
- Excellent articles on Peulh (Fulani) mobilization in central Mali
- Opposition march in #Burkina Faso set for September 29
- Good background on Katiba Macina, Fulani rebel group in central Mali
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.