The TFP indexes reveal the dramatic contraction of labor in the farm sector. Agricultural land, a component of capital, also fell steadily, except for a brief cessation in the 1970s, and by 2004 amounted to less than three-quarters of its 1948 value. In contrast, the sector’s use of equipment and of material inputs—energy, fertilizers, pesticides, and purchased services—increased considerably until the early 1980s. After that, materials inputs fluctuated but showed no strong growth, and equipment inputs declined. Between 1948 and 1979, the sector substituted expanded usage of equipment and agricultural chemicals for declining land and labor inputs. As a result, materials accounted for a significant share of agricultural output growth, even though growth in total factor productivity was also important. However, output continued to grow after 1979, while capital inputs declined and material inputs (including chemicals) grew very little, compared with levels in 1979. Consequently, growth in TFP accounted for all of the post-1979 expansion of output. There can be little doubt that productivity growth has been the engine of economic growth in post World War II agriculture. TFP growth sparked most of the gains in production between 1948 and 1979, with added capital and materials accounting for the remainder. After 1979, when inputs in total declined, TFP drove all of the substantial increase in aggregate agricultural production.
Blogs I Follow
- I guess Trump team is consistent about one thing: They really would rather have coal than advanced 21st century batteries
- Great trenchant essay on reading from Hisham Matar
- Can students record me in class?
- Awe-inspiring study from Ancestry.com
- Leading a non-profit that supports village libraries is a lot of work!
- Great article about one of the FAVL donors who helped make a library happen in Burkina Faso
- AYA Afrika Foundation helps continue after school reading program in libraries in Ghana
- New motor bike for FAVL/CESRUD Ghana
- Visite guidée à la bibliothèque communautaire de Dablo
- Les usagers illettrés à la Bibliothèque de Dimikuy
- La mairie de Pensa prend ses responsabilités
- What is going on in FAVL Burkina Faso?
- Les bibliothécaires en séance pratique d'origami
- Le coordonnateur national à la rencontre du staff régional
- FAVL/CESRUD Ghana libraries expand their reach to surrounding schools
- Rapport du mois de janvier et février 2017 de la bibliothèque de Sebba
- Rapports des activités du mois de Janvier et Février 2017 de la bibliothèque de Bougounam
- Visite d'un ancien lecteur au bureau de FAVL Ouaga
- Rencontre FAVL et les autorités de Sabcé
- Encadrement du bibliothécaire de Pissila