To all my Georgetown friends (I think it was Prusa, McKay, Duda, Ehrehfeld?) who accompanied me, and then abandoned me (actually I don’t remember who actually lasted through the 15 1/2 hours of movie…), here are the scenes/images/thoughts I remember quite vividly:
- Reinhold kills Mieze in the forest. For me this remains in my memory as an amazing expression of the horror of doing something calculatingly heinous. Fassbinder sets it like a Grimm Brothers story, in a dark forest, with sunlight slanting through. When Reinhold shows his anvil tattoo, you just stop breathing.
- The piece of machinery in Franz’s room. A printing press? See comments here. What director foregrounds a large piece of machinery over and over!?
- Franz drinks (and talks to) his many beers. I do this myself now when I am in a bar, alone (which is often?)
- Kraftwerk “Radioactivity” and Glenn Miller “In the Mood” (written by Andy Razaf?) in the dream epilogue…. OMG like totally amazing!
- At the socialist political meeting, thinking of Mieze sucking his fingers.
- The homoerotic tension between Reinhold and Franz… in the bathroom scene was it?
- Franz, broken, without an arm, cleaning the Mercedes Benz in the “new” Germany.
- Hannah Schygulla as Eva… I wanted to be married to her, why not?
- Franz and Mieze in the abbatoir…
A truly amazing comprehensive review is here. Another great review is here.