After his election to the papacy 11 months ago, Francis seemed to immediately grasp the significance of the divisions among the world’s 1.2 billion Catholics. He has chosen inclusive language, has played down the importance of following the hierarchy and has warned against the church locking itself up “in small-minded rules.” The poll reflects previous ones in finding that the vast majority of Catholics appreciate his approach…. Pope Francis appears particularly eager to engage with divisions around sex, marriage and gender and has called a rare “extraordinary synod” this fall on “The Pastoral Challenges of the Family.” For that, he has asked bishops to survey Catholics about their views of cohabitation, same-sex parenting and contraception, among other things.
Blogs I Follow
- Trying to fix my old turntable in basement I turned into a voyeur
- Don’t watch the Sean Penn Hulu space show
- I think I may be done with Iain Banks: Against a Dark Background
- Legacy of slavery in the United States: a few readings and perspectives
- Sexual harassment in factories in Indonesia: extraordinary short documentary
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.