As you may have guessed, this is not some special problem that only Japan has. The whole world is in the middle of that same demographic transition, in more or less dramatic forms. Productivity in the richest countries is growing more slowly than it did during the decades after World War II, which means that the world as a whole is not innovating as fast as it used to. Again, fiscal stimulus is not going to fix that. Fiscal and monetary policy can smooth temporary fluctuations in output. I’m less than convinced that they can, by themselves, improve our economic capacity. Oh, you can make a huge mess with really bad decisions: deflation, hyperinflation, nationalization, confiscatory taxation, and debt crises can have nasty impacts on your economic output that will outlive your macroeconomic mistakes. But ultimately, fiscal and monetary stimulus are better tools for managing temporary crises than long-term growth problems.
Blogs I Follow
- I guess Trump team is consistent about one thing: They really would rather have coal than advanced 21st century batteries
- Great trenchant essay on reading from Hisham Matar
- Can students record me in class?
- Awe-inspiring study from Ancestry.com
- Leading a non-profit that supports village libraries is a lot of work!
- Great article about one of the FAVL donors who helped make a library happen in Burkina Faso
- AYA Afrika Foundation helps continue after school reading program in libraries in Ghana
- New motor bike for FAVL/CESRUD Ghana
- Visite guidée à la bibliothèque communautaire de Dablo
- Les usagers illettrés à la Bibliothèque de Dimikuy
- La mairie de Pensa prend ses responsabilités
- What is going on in FAVL Burkina Faso?
- Les bibliothécaires en séance pratique d'origami
- Le coordonnateur national à la rencontre du staff régional
- FAVL/CESRUD Ghana libraries expand their reach to surrounding schools
- Rapport du mois de janvier et février 2017 de la bibliothèque de Sebba
- Rapports des activités du mois de Janvier et Février 2017 de la bibliothèque de Bougounam
- Visite d'un ancien lecteur au bureau de FAVL Ouaga
- Rencontre FAVL et les autorités de Sabcé
- Encadrement du bibliothécaire de Pissila