Got The Real Cool Killers by Chester Himes from the library after reading a Burkinabè author cite him as an influence. I was like, “Who is this guy?” Fascinating and sad story. The fiction is exactly as advertised: lurid hardboiled Harlem detectives and criminals. Lots of action, no character development, impossible stereotypes. But a fun read, of course. Not nearly as taut as Elmore Leonard, but broader, more slapstick. Lots of vocabulary that I am sure Google will enjoy looking up for you.
Blogs I Follow
- How much is the Trump trade war helping African consumers of soybean?
- Recent reading: Beard, Twain, and Pinsker
- Should anti-vaccination parents be liable under tort law if their child infects a baby and kills them?
- Reading fiction because it is actually better than binge-watching
- Super Furry Animals – Run! Christian, Run!
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.