I finished Against a Dark Background earlier this week. A basic adventure space opera with a sympathetic android and a fairly obvious bad guy who is slowly revealed. It moves quickly and occasionally the settings are interesting but quite often they veer towards the silly/sophomoric. Nuance is present occasionally, but stock emotions and characterization prevail. Technique is interweaving flash backs without clear signals. Less experienced readers will be confused. Aims for noirish despair in tone, occasionally succeeds.
Blogs I Follow
- Trying to fix my old turntable in basement I turned into a voyeur
- Don’t watch the Sean Penn Hulu space show
- I think I may be done with Iain Banks: Against a Dark Background
- Legacy of slavery in the United States: a few readings and perspectives
- Sexual harassment in factories in Indonesia: extraordinary short documentary
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.