I finished Against a Dark Background earlier this week. A basic adventure space opera with a sympathetic android and a fairly obvious bad guy who is slowly revealed. It moves quickly and occasionally the settings are interesting but quite often they veer towards the silly/sophomoric. Nuance is present occasionally, but stock emotions and characterization prevail. Technique is interweaving flash backs without clear signals. Less experienced readers will be confused. Aims for noirish despair in tone, occasionally succeeds.
Blogs I Follow
- My wife is good with faces, but I am pretty darn good with melodies
- Fulani arrested in Ghana over Burkina Faso ties?
- Recent reading: The Big Book of Science Fiction, edited by Ann and Jeff VanderMeer
- Production de livres du centre multimédia de Houndé au Burkina Faso
- Séance de discussion autour d’une bande dessinée Kouka, au Burkina Faso
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.