I finished Against a Dark Background earlier this week. A basic adventure space opera with a sympathetic android and a fairly obvious bad guy who is slowly revealed. It moves quickly and occasionally the settings are interesting but quite often they veer towards the silly/sophomoric. Nuance is present occasionally, but stock emotions and characterization prevail. Technique is interweaving flash backs without clear signals. Less experienced readers will be confused. Aims for noirish despair in tone, occasionally succeeds.
Blogs I Follow
- Aldous Harding covers “Right Down The Line” by Gerry Rafferty
- Budget transparency at private universities: Some thoughts about SCU
- Why does SCU want to take the faculty unionization straight to the NLRB? Because they could reverse every unionization on every Jesuit and other “religious” university
- Tactics when confronting a Trump-appointee dominated NLRB: “three would-be unions withdraw petitions”
- When Loyola University A&S faculty tried to unionize, religious-ness became an issue…
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.